Monday, May 6, 2013

So how are things going?

In a nutshell, things are going remarkably well.  Perfect?  Nope.  Too many people involved. 

Samuel continues to adjust day by day, moment by moment really.  His language skills are blossoming one word at a time as he realizes what these crazy English words mean.  He's been repeating words since day 1, but he is starting to use some words and even phrases appropriately.  He definitely has "eat, drink, more, all gone, dog, Courtney, Cassidy, Baba, Mama, hey, okay, I love you more, hey buddy, uh oh" and probably a few more I can't remember.  This morning, I handed him a snack and he said, "Thank you, Mama." 

Sleeping pattern is not bad, but I do look forward to sleeping through the night again some day.  Most nights, he wakes up crying once or twice.  He just needs to be comforted and he goes right back to sleep.  I remember getting up twice last night, but I think I'm mastering the skill of not completely waking up while going to his room, giving a hug, and tucking back in.

As far as our little guy's health status, we don't know a whole lot yet.  The cardiologist pretty much confirmed his diagnosis as tetrolagy of fallot.  Samuel was NOT happy with the testing done last week, which prevented a completely good echocardiogram from happening.  Next week, they will do a CT scan and another echo until general anesthesia so they can get some good pictures.  I will admit that when Samuel gets totally out of breath after doing very little, it's disturbing to all of us.  I don't look forward to surgery, but I so want him to be able to breath without the struggle. 

In learning to keep up with this busy little boy while everyone else is at school and work, I haven't taken many pictures to share.  By the way, I failed to mention Samuel's most familiar words are "Samuel, no."  He may think that's his name....hmmmm.....He's also completely comfortable enough with his family to show us a temper when things don't happen in his plan and timing.  Yeah, that's not so cute, but it's a good sign ;)

I had to show the kiddo that the basketball goal was indeed not intended for hanging clothes on!  (I'll post about his clothing/hangar craziness later).
 Slam dunk!  Gotta enjoy this now, cause I don't think he's going to be exactly NBA height.
 The cutest nerds you will ever see!

1 comment:

  1. Great update Martha. I have so enjoyed your posts. I know you all feel so bless to have Samuel in your lives but believe me... Samuel is one blessed little boy to have you, Matt and the girls in his life! He's going to have a great life you your sweet family...

    ReplyDelete