Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ramblings about our vacation and what's ahead

I would like to give you a well written, concise, beautiful picture of our trip to Orlando.  I'm afraid if you're going to get that, it'll have to come from my husband.  I'm going to give you random, not in any particular order, thoughts, funnies, advice, etc.
  • GPS units are so cool!  We had so much less stress than long road trips of the past.
  • Nintendo DS's and in vehicle DVD players are wonderful entertainment for the kids.
  • Florida is SO STINKIN' hot in the summer.  I think the humidity is like 125%.  And yes, it did rain every afternoon.
  • My kids are great travelers.  We spent a total of approximately 40 hours in the car in the last week and we had minimal whining and groaning (most of what we did have was from me).
  • If you enjoy people watching, DisneyWorld will totally entertain you. 
  • The Magic Kingdom is not the happiest place on earth as advertised.  Courtney told me one day she thought we were the only family in the park not trying to tear each other's eyes out. 
  • Having a good time is usually the result of making a choice to have a good time!
  • We saw some people who totally confirmed some stereotypes.  We stood in line with a family (grandparents, parents, kids) that had to be from New Jersey.  We actually saw them several times one day.  They were yelling at each others quite colorfully every time we saw them.  On the other hand, the most polite people we experienced were British. One British gentleman actually insisted that I get in front of him in line. 
  • I love the It's a Small World ride.  I don't care how corny anyone else thinks it is.
  • I am OLD and my favorite rides at DisneyWorld are still Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan's Flight, and the Haunted Mansion.
  • My husband is so awesome.  Why, you ask?  He went to a conference every day and wasn't even jealous of the fun we were having.  He truly was happy because we were having fun.
  • My husband is so awesome.  Why, you ask?   We teased him relentlessly this week about him going to a geek conference with all the other computer geeks.  He took it quite well.
  • New Smyrna Beach has white sand and great surf.
  • No amount of sun screen will keep Courtney from getting burned on a white sand beach.
  • No amount of water and rough surf will scare Cassidy.
  • When a manatee swims between me and my children in the ocean, it scares me badly!  Especially when I read that this particular beach has reported LOTS of shark attacks.
  • Sand sticks to everything.
  • Florida is so stinkin' hot!
  • When your cousin Sherry at www.mickeystravel.com/sherry gives you advice about how to maneuver DisneyWorld, you should do what she says.
  • There are lines to get in line at DisneyWorld.
  • Courtney can sing "O Canada" using nothing but meow's. 
  • Everything in Orlando costs significantly more than it does in Oklahoma.
  • The Renaissance hotel is really fancy and nice and enjoyable.  Thank you to my hubby's employer!
  • Corky's BBQ in Memphis, TN is really yummy.
  • Despite heat and crowds, the girls and I really like DisneyWorld, Magic Kingdom being our favorite.
  • Everybody looks fun when wearing mouse ears.
  • To make it easier to have a good time at Disney, stay at a Disney resort and go in January (did I mention it was hot).  We spent a lot of time in transit, but the hotel didn't cost us anything, so I'm not complaining.
  • Cassidy does not trust me enough to choose rides because she was sure she wouldn't survive riding Splash Mountain. (She made it). 
  • When Courtney was bothering Cassidy, Cassidy looked at me and said, "Do you see what I have to live with?" 
Okay, I warned you it was random.  We just got home a few hours ago and I'm tired ;) 

On the adoption front...we have a home study visit on Wednesday evening this week.  We are have a bunch of paperwork to complete between now and then.  I think I'll start tomorrow afternoon when I've had some sleep so it won't be random also. 

I am so grateful for a long road trip that was so completely uneventful.  I am VERY grateful for a wonderful time to enjoy my family and have fun with them without being interrupted by work or chores!

No comments:

Post a Comment